- 135g dried medjool dates, soaked for 2 hours in hot water
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 small cinnamon stick
- 10g vinegar (better to weigh for accuracy)
- 375g rhubarb, cut into 1 cm dice
- 80-100g dark brown soft sugar
- 200ml water
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium heavy based saucepan, gently fry the onion, and chilli over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add the garam masala, curry powder, cardamom pods and cinnamon. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
Add the vinegar, rhubarb and 80g of the sugar and mix through. You can add more sugar if you feel it’s necessary, but the flavours will mature and balance after cooking.
Add the water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring every 10 minutes though more regularly towards the end, for 45 minutes.
The perfect seasonal accompaniment to your poppadoms alongside mango chutney and raita!